Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Making Your Home a Haven, Week 2 - Music

 
It's week two of the Making Your Home a Haven challenge.  Hosted by Courtney at Women Living Well. 
 
Have you been lighting your candle?  We have - the boys are taking turns each morning lighting the candle and praying for peace in our home before we begin family worship time.  We've read Romans 12:9-21 a few times over the last week. 
 
My Holiday Spice Yankee Candle is just about  burned through and before weeks end I'll need to get another.  ☺  I'm not sure if I'll get the same scent or look for a new one. 
 
 
Over the last few months I've purchased a few new cd's and I've been playing those throughout the day.  In years past (and still) I've enjoyed listening to George Winston but I recently found Paul Cardall and downloaded a selection of his music as well as some Fernado Ortega from Amazon and onto my cloud storage.  I can play it through an app from either my computer or my iPhone which is nice because because its mobile and I can listen to it whenever and wherever I want.  :)
 
 I also have two cd's that I purchased from the Revive Our Hearts ministry with Nancy Leigh DeMoss that I love!  The first is a cd collection of Hymns.  The cd title is Be Still.  The second is Hidden in My Heart:  A Lullaby Journey Through Scripture.   Don't let the lullaby part fool you.  These are beautiful Scriptural truths set to music that are soothing to any age.
 
This summer I watched a talk by Michelle Duggar.  She opened by having everyone sing (a capella) a beautiful hymn titled A Christian Hymn.  I am not sure where this hymn originated but over the summer I've taken it as my own and have sung it to the Lord and a prayer for my family and home.
 
 
A Christian Home
(sung to Be Still My Soul)
 
O give us homes built firm upon the Savior,
Where Christ is head and counselour and guide;
Where every child is taught His love and favor
And give his heart to Christ, the crucified:
How sweet to know that , tho' his footsteps waver,
His faithful Lord is walking by his side!
 
O give us homes with godly fathers, mothers,
Who always place their home and trust in Him;
Whose tender patience turmoil never bothers,
Whose calm and courage trouble cannot dim;
A home where each finds joy in serving others,
And love still shines tho' days be dark and grim.
 
O give us homes where Christ is Lord and Master,
The Bible read, the precious hymns still sung;
Where prayer comes first in peace or in disaster,
And praise is natural speech to every tongue;
Where mountains move before a faith that's vaster,
And Christ sufficient is for old and young.
 
O Lord, our God, our homes are Thine forever!
We trust to Thee their problems, toil and care;
Their bonds of love no enemy can sever
If Thou art always Lord and Master there:
Be Thou the center of our least endeavor
Be Thou our guest, our hearts and homes to share.
 
 
Isn't it lovely?!  May God bless you this week as you work towards building a haven for your family.
 
Making Your Home a Haven - Week 1 was the #1 read post at the So Much at Home Link up!  How fun and welcome to all the new readers who came through the link-up.  I hope you'll stop by again, leave a comment so I can return the visit.  Please click below to visit and read the posts submitted to this week's link-up. 


So Much At Home

  
This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making Mondays, Marriage MondayTitus 2sdaysTitus 2 Tuesdays, Raising Homemakers, Wise Woman Link UpCoffee and ConversationSo Much at Home, Homemaking Thursdays, Home Sweet Home, Hearts for Home ThursdaysGrowing in Grace Link-up,  Front Porch Friday Blog HopSimple Meals Friday, Making Your Home a Haven,  Thank you to each of the lovely ladies listed above for hosting.
 


5 comments:

  1. Oops. I just left a comment but it didn't publish. Maybe it's in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try again.

    I love A Christian Home. We have that song on CD, but I can't remember who sings it now. We enjoy playing gentle music during the day but especially when we're expecting guests. I also love the aroma and atmosphere that candles provide.

    Today is a HEAVY RAIN day in Virginia...music and candles (and chocolate, too!) sound like things that might brighten the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb! I love lighting candles and turning on my little lamps around the house when it is an overcast day... they make it seem so homey. I hope you got your chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those words to "A Christian Home". Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! This series you are participating in is very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete