Thursday, October 9, 2014

Learning to S.O.A.P.


 
 
There are so many different ways to study Scripture.  This summer, I went through the book of 1 John.  I studied out one verse each day (in context) and then looked up key words in my Greek/Hebrew Study Bible.  I also read through any Scripture references and did the same with those verses that captured my attention.  It was slow and very deliberate.  I enjoyed this method of study very much and felt the Holy Spirit revealed many truths to me through the extensive study of one book over many months.

Currently I am reading through the Bible 1 chapter a day and following a study method known as S.O.A.P.  I first heard about this method of study years ago through the ministry of Good Morning Girls, but am unsure of where it originated. 

The S.O.A.P study method is a very solid method of Scripture study because you are studying in context.  I also love how it gives structure in its approach which makes it an ideal method for those that are new to Bible study or need a little more direction.

SOAPing takes me between 15-45 minutes each morning.  I begin with prayer, asking the Lord to bless my time in His word and for the Holy Spirit to bring understanding and reveal truth to me as I read.  I then read through the chapter and S.O.A.P the verse or verses that really stood out to me.

So what exactly is the S.O.A.P method? 

The S.O.A.P method focuses on 4 different key areas each day. 

S – Scripture – Read through your chosen selection or chapter of Scripture. In your notebook, hand write the part of the scripture that has captured your attention or that the Holy Spirit spoke to you.  Some days this is just a verse, on others it might be a longer passage.

O – Observation – Carefully and deliberately examine the verse or verses you wrote down. Ask yourself some of the following questions.  Who is speaking?  What was said?  Are there others there?  How did they react?  Where is this taking place?  What kind of details are mentioned as to location, time, etc.?  What is happening?  Is there a command or promise?  To whom is the command or promise given?  Really take your time here and study to learn everything you can about the selected passage.

Some days I have more time available and I’m able to look up commentary on the verses.  This is especially helpful if I’m having trouble understanding something in the passage.  Sometimes there are cultural aspects that I am unfamiliar with and reading through commentaries, while not necessary, can help to bring further clarification. I use a Bible study software called PC BibleSoft but you can find study helps and resources online at places like Bible Gateway (com) or Bible Study Tools (.com) Bible Study Tools has Matthew Henry’scommentary and others free to use.  I also like to use the 1828 Webster dictionary online.

A – Application  Here is where our study gets personal.  How does this passage personally apply to my life?  Has the Holy Spirit revealed truths within the passage that I need to give attention to?  Are there attitudes or actions I need to respond to through repentance and obedience in light of what I’ve read? Are there relationship conflicts that I need to resolve or give to the Lord, people I need to forgive, truths I need to meditate on and receive?  Write it all down and then…

P – Prayer Commit all you’ve learned today to the Lord in prayer.  Ask the Holy Spirit to seal the truths of the passage to your heart and for the strength to move forward in trust and obedience where He has asked.
 
What a blessing that in America we can study the Scriptures so freely and have so many resources available to aid us in our study.  I hope this post will be a practical help to you if you are wanting to read and study the Scriptures but are unsure of where or how to start.  If you have any questions feel free to ask below in the comment section.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment