Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Making Your Home a Haven - Week 1

 
Each Autumn I've followed along with the Making Your Home a Haven challenge at Women Living Well.  Courtney gives some practical ways in which we can help make our homes a haven for our loved ones.
 
Here is the challenge for week 1
 
 "Go buy an extra large candle and light a candle everyday in your home. I will be starting mine in the morning but you can start yours at dinner time or whenever is convenient for you.  I will be placing mine in the kitchen – the main hub of my home.  Each time the glimmer of the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace and patience within your home."

 One of the things I especially love about this challenge is lighting our candle each morning. Although we don't do it everyday, we've continued with this practice all throughout the year.    Our candle is pictured above and is part of the centerpiece on our living room coffee table.  Our living room is open to our school room and the kids spend quite a bit of time here reading and working on school. 
 
One morning this week as we were preparing to have family worship time, the Holy Spirit spoke to me.  I was to have the boys each take turns lighting the candle and then praying for peace in our home rather than my doing it.  I think it has made a huge impact on them as they are realizing that we are each responsible to do our part.
 
Here is a picture of my youngest praying this morning after he lit our candle.
 
 
 
I shared this quote earlier in the week in my Daybook post but I'll share it here again because it fits so beautifully. 
 
 
So how do we go about creating a foretaste of heaven in our homes.  First through prayer - pray daily for your marriage - the earthly visible example of Christ and the church.  This relationship is the most important one you will have aside from your personal relationship with Christ.  Next pray for your relationship with each of your children.  Ask the Holy Spirit to help you find creative ways to love on and encourage them.  Pray for the relationships of your children one with the other.  If you are noticing conflicts or issues, make them a matter of prayer. 
 
Living peaceably with others begins in our homes, amongst our families. 
 
Romans 12:9-21 (KJV)
 
"Let love be without dissimulation.  Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.  Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Distributing to the necessity of saints, given to hospitality.  Bless them which persecute you:  bless, and curse not.  Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.  Be of the same mind one toward another.  Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate.  Be not wise in your own conceits.  Recompense to no man evil for evil.  Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.  Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath:  for it is written, Vengenance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.  Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink; for in doing so thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.  Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good."
 
I'd love to hear from you in the comments... how do you work to create your home a haven?
 
 
 
This post may be shared with some or all of the following link-ups: The Art of Home-Making Mondays, Marriage MondayTitus 2sdaysTitus 2 Tuesdays, Raising Homemakers, Wise Woman Link UpCoffee and ConversationSo Much at Home, Homemaking Thursdays, Home Sweet Home, Hearts for Home ThursdaysGrowing in Grace Thursdays,  Front Porch Friday Blog HopSimple Meals Friday, Making Your Home a Haven,  Thank you to each of the lovely ladies listed above for hosting..
 

16 comments:

  1. Lovely! Taking turns lighting the candle & praying does sound like it would leave a lasting impression. It has been quite a challenge for us this week but a blessing regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shalynne! Praying for you and yours this morning. :) Thank you for the visit and comment. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is brimming full and spilling over of such wonderful material, Theresa! You have given me so much good food for thought. I really like the Jani Ortlund quote!

    Everything isn't always perfect here...but I try to make sure that things are in decent order. During canning season my hands are so busy preserving food, that I don't always get things dusted or swept like I would like. But I give it my best. The rest of the time I do try to make sure that things are kept orderly and clean. I like to burn candles and have music playing softly in the background when my hubby gets home from work.

    I think probably the greatest thing I can do though in making our home a haven is to make sure that I stay close to the Lord because that determines how I react to things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, Dianna. You are such an encourager. I appreciate that and I whole-heartedly agree with you on making sure we stay close to the Lord. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. LOVE this post, I love the praying, the quote, well just everything. I will be back to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thank you, Pat! I do hope you'll visit again. God bless you tonight.

      Delete
  5. Oh, such a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing on So Much At Home.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theresa, This is such a great post! I am passionate about the idea of making my home a haven. Your words and pictures are so homey, sweet, and sincere. I love how you share Christ with others through your blog. I try to make my home a haven by playing soft music (usually more spiritual music), hugging on my family as often as possible, making our home cheerful and a pleasant place to be, baking and cooking wholesome foods for them, trying to get as much done as I can around the house so that when my husband gets home for few hours he has with us in the evenings are enjoyable and relaxing, I like to decorate for the seasons and make traditions in our home because I enjoy it and so that my daughter has a memorable childhood like my husband and I both had. Thank you for leaving your sweet comment on my blog post with my autumn home tour. Have a blessed day! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jamie, thank you so much for you sweet comment and for taking the time visit and leave it for me. Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  7. This was lovely Teresa! I like the candle idea too... Thank you for sharing with us this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. I like the warm feeling of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jes ~ Have a wonderful week and I'm glad you felt welcomed. :)

      Delete
  8. Such a beautiful candle and words from your heart! I think I used to follow your blog years ago (something about "treasures & vessels") and if so, it's sooo good to find you again. Forgive me if my memory serves me wrong :)

    Sweet Sunday Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct and if I am correct in remembering your face are you Tamara? I'm so thrilled to be reacquainted and find you blogging again too!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! This post was the #1 most read on last week's link up, and was featured this week at somuchathome.blogspot.com!
    Come link up again!
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How Fun! I'll be linking up my Making Your Home a Haven Week 2 tomorrow morning. :)

      Delete