Monday, October 20, 2014

Daybook


For Today...
Monday, October 20th, 2014
 

Outside my window...  it is still dark outside and will be for another half hour.  Both my husband and son have left for work.

I am hearing... nothing.  Andrew was up to say good-bye to his dad when he left but is back up in bed and it's quiet in the house again.
 
I am thinking... about what I read in Genesis 22 yesterday about Abraham not withholding Isaac his son from God and examining my life… are there areas that I am holding back in?

 I am thankful... for the time I had with my niece this week.  We picked her up on Wednesday and brought her home Friday morning.  We took a trip to Nelson's Farm.  It was a beautiful fall day full of fun!
 
 
 I am wearing... a jean skirt, cream colored knee-high socks, a green sweater and a cream floral scarf.

 I am creating... A monster hat for my nephew.  Similar to this one. 
 
 
I’m also still working on my Autumn Sunburst afghan.  This week there was a lot of tail tucking, my least favorite part of a granny square afghan.
 
 
  I am going... to have a shopping day with my daughter this week.  Yay!  We are trying to co-ordinate and buy outfits for our entire family for our upcoming family pictures.
 
I am wondering...  when we’ll have our first snow and hoping it holds off for a long, long time.  ☺

 I am reading... through the Bible with my Good Morning Girls group.  I read Genesis 23 this morning.  I am still reading through the Ruth Bell Graham book a little each night.  We are finishing up the Tanglewoods Secret book this week and will be starting Star of Light for our next read aloud.  I also got the book Do Hard Things for the older boys.

 I am hoping (trusting God)... for the salvation of some very precious loved ones and for my older children to be led by God in all areas of their lives.

 In the learning room...  We need to play catch-up a little this week since we took Thursday and Friday off to have my niece stay with us. 

 Around the house... Outside the leaves are almost off the trees except for one and a few stragglers on the others.  what a difference 3.5 weeks can make.





Inside… I’ve been working on a little fall cleaning.  I got the linens for the spare bedroom laundered and now I just need to finish freshening up the room. 


 
The two younger boys need new clothes for winter so we’ve been going through bins and making shopping lists.  We also need to purchase new winter coats and find the bins with hats, mittens and gloves.
 
  In the kitchen... I had planned to make a homemade chicken pot-pie last week but our menu got a bit mixed around so I’m hoping to make it this week.  My in-laws sent home two apple pies with us this week.  Unfortunately with growing boys they don’t last long. 

I am (still) learning… to let go and let God.  It is best to be taught by Him.

 A favorite quote...  an entry from Ruth Bell Grahm's journal in which she shares her fears and inadequacies in brining up her family as she should.  At the end of the entry, which included the words to a hymn she writes,

"There it is.  All that I am not, He is;  all that I am and should not be, He forgives and covers.  But this remains:  I am not big enough for the job ahead of me.  Not big enough, or strong enough, or wise enough, or loving enough or selfless enough, or anything enough."

It captured my attention because I've been there before... and on my own and in my own strength I will never be enough - but in Christ I am.  <3

 A few plans for this week:  piano lessons, errands, library trip, Civil Air Patrol, Cyber Patriots and a shopping trip with my daughter.

 A peek into one of my days...

 
{working on the roof of the fort}
 

{Painting pumpkins}
 
 
This post is linked at The Simple Woman's blog.

8 comments:

  1. Hi! This is Heide from Apron History. Just wanted to let you know you are the winner of the Mini Knitted Pumpkin giveaway! Please send me your address and I will sent it along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hat and the afghan you are making!

    What a dramatic difference between the two fall pictures! The only thing about fall that I don't like is that it doesn't last long enough ...

    Thanks for sharing the entry by Ruth Bell Graham. I often felt I was inadequate as a parent, but glad to know He can make up for the things I didn't do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerralea, I remember once a pastor's wife told me we do the very best we can at the time and we trust the rest to Jesus. <3

      Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment and I agree... fall never lasts long enough but I'm ever so glad to live in a state that experiences it.

      Delete
  3. The afghan is so pretty! I love reading your daybooks. :-) Let go and let God is something I've been learning too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. :) Let go and let God is a life long process I think. ;) As my kids get older I see it as an important part of my role as a parent. I take my care to Him... let it go and allow God to work as He wills. Love ya!

      Delete
  4. Hi Theresa! I wanted to thank you for the lovely visit to my Roses of Worth blog today - I truly appreciate your kind words.

    Your blog is simply delightful and I enjoyed reading your words. And may I just say your afghan is going to be gorgeous!

    Have a beautfiul evening. Hugs and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors you chose for your afghan!

    Enjoyed your daybook,

    ReplyDelete