Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Physical and Spiritual Health

The following is from my quiet time this morning - I am currently reading through the Bible one chapter a day with the Good Morning Girls ministry.  I have been using the SOAP method as I journal each day which is simply S = Scripture (writing out the verse or verses I felt the Lord leading/speaking to me about) O = Observations, what is happening in the passage, who is speaking, who is being addressed, where are they etc. A = Application, how does apply or how can I apply this to my life and P = Prayer, praying back to God His word and what he has shown to me and asking the Holy Spirit to help me apply what I have learned.  I often do not journal my prayers but rather pray them orally.


S)  "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth."  3 John 2

O) This verse caught my attention because it compared physical and spiritual health.  When John addressed Gaius in this way was it because he might have been ill physically?  He was obviously in great spiritual health.

I liked what the BE commentary had to say on this verse.

"Physical health is the result of nutrition, exercise, cleanliness, proper rest, and the disciplined order of a balanced life. Spiritual health is the result of similar factors. We must nourish ourselves with the Word, and then "work out" that nourishment in godly exercise (1 Tim 4:6-7). We must keep ourselves clean (2 Cor 7:1) and avoid the contamination and pollution that is in the world (2 Peter 1:4; James 1:27). While exercise and service are important, it is also important that we rest in the Lord and gain new strength through fellowship with Him (Matt 11:18-30). A balanced life is a healthy and happy life, a life that honors God."  (from The Bible Exposition Commentary. Copyright © 1989 by Chariot Victor Publishing, and imprint of Cook Communication Ministries. All rights reserved. Used by permission.)

A)  Evaluate my physical and spiritual health, both are important.  Are there areas in either that I need to surrender and change?

Nutrition:  What things do I have an appetite for?  What am I feasting on?

  • Physical:  Am I unbalanced in my nutrition?  Do I eat more junk/processed food or am I eating God given foods that have enzymes (the life) in them.  Am I balanced in my portion sizes?
  • Spiritual:  Do I feed on the Word of God and rightly divide it (study) or is my appetite for other things (t.v., internet, books, sports etc.)
Exercise:
  • Physical:  Am I taking care of the body that God has given to me in order to be ready to go where He might call me or to do what He would have me to do?  Do I make time each day to exercise?  Am I unbalanced in this area, focusing too much time and attention to exercise?
  • Spiritual:  Am I disciplined to exercise my faith by reading God's word, studying it and applying it to my life or am I lazy in my daily spiritual disciplines allowing other things to steal my time?   Just as I grow stronger through physical exercise so my faith will increase and grow through spiritual disciplines (Romans 10:17).
Cleanliness:
  • Physical:  Do I keep my home tidy to promote health and not disease?  Do I daily practice and teach my children good hygiene habits to help keep sickness at bay?  Do I show honor to God through the care of my home and body? 
  • Spiritual:  Do I allow the defilements of sin and evil to creep into my life and home?  Do I need to do a spiritual housecleaning?  Many years ago I came across a wonderful post about cleaning house.  I copied that post into my Bible and it has served me well as I go through my home and removing those things that do not honor God.

    Balanced Life:
  • Physical:  Am I motivated by selfish, fleshly desires?  Do I get proper rest at night so that my body can perform the necessary tasks for renewal or do I push myself too far by staying up too late and then need to use stimulants for energy?  Am I unbalanced in my priorities spending more or less time where I should?  Am I over worked or over committed?  Do I listen to worldly counsel?
  • Spiritual:  Am I casting my cares (anxieties) onto the Lord and asking for the guidance of the Holy Spirit or am I trying to do it all in my own strength?  Am I looking well to the ways of "my" household or am I discontent always wanting more and wishing things were different?  Do I have anger, bitterness or un-forgiveness in my life? Do I spend more time or give more attention to the things of the world or to maintaining a disciplined Christian life of love and service?  When I am in need of counsel do I go to God's Word first?

Edited to add:  A link to cleaning house from June at A Wise Woman Builds Her Home under the Cleanliness point and a picture from my Bible.

8 comments:

  1. What a blessing it was to come here this morning and read, Theresa! Thank you so much for sharing your daily devotion with us. There is so much thought provoking (and convicting) things in these short paragraphs. I've not heard of or used the S.O.A.P. method of study, but I think I am going to give it a try.

    Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dianna! <3 I'm sure there are many more things to consider in each of these areas but these were some that the Holy Spirit brought to my attention this morning as I read.

    I don't always use the SOAP method - in fact it has been a few years. I usually study 1 book at a time and move very slowly verse by verse reading the references, learning the context and looking up the words but as I've committed to facilitating a lovely group of ladies in a Facebook group through this study I found it to be the best method for now. It is a great way to give structure to your study time and to draw out as much as possible. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tessa. So nice to see your comment in my inbox :)
    That sure is a thorough SOAP you did. I'm not doing the GMG study this round but I still love using the SOAP method.
    Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((Theresa)) So nice to hear from you. I think of you often and stop by your blog. I am enjoying the new direction for Good Morning Girls and am facilitating a Facebook group. I love the format there vs. the e-mail group we did before. Happy Fall to you too!

      Delete
  4. Hey Theresa ... Don't you just LOVE how God cares about each aspect of our lives ... and His Word GOES THERE with what we need to learn!

    Appreciate your journaling ... and your visit the other day, too! So good to meet you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, yes that is why His word is living and active - imparting to each as needed. It is exciting to ponder! Have a blessed weekend.

      Delete