Thursday, June 6, 2013

Growing In Love With Jesus, part 2



As I shared last week in part one of Growing in Love with Jesus, developing an intimate relationship someone takes dedicated intention.  It wont just happen.  Desire to pursue Him and purpose in your heart to find ways to spend with Jesus throughout the day.

As a busy mama this might seem like an impossible task.  Let's think outside the "quiet time box" for a minute.  :)  There are many ways to grow in your relationship with the Lord that don't require uninterrupted quiet and Bible reading although we should be spending time in His word daily.  I'm talking about smaller ways to grow in our love for Him.

  • Find ways throughout your day to be reminded of Him.  There is a beautiful young woman at our church who is reminded of Jesus and His love for her every time she sees a heart.  The Lord has shown her these little hearts in many different situations such as a heart shaped leaf, a paint splatter etc.    How precious is it to be reminded of His love like this.  A few minutes of adoration and thankfulness for His love towards you will help to join your heart to His. 

  • Perhaps you have a certain time in your day where there is a short lull in activity that you could take to spend even just 5 minutes with Him.  My children are older now so I find that I have more "lulls" than I did when they were smaller but I promise no amount of time is too short that could be spent with Him.

  • Are there certain benchmarks in your day, that occur everyday, such as meal prep or laundry, that might normally be seen as just another mundane task but could be turned into opportunities to spend with Him?   Taking this time to talk through your day up to that point with Him.   "Lord, forgive me for my shortness with little Suzy, help me to be patient and loving with her."  or "Lord, what would you have had me to do in that situation, I feel like I handled that wrongly, please show me how you would have me to respond next time."  Share your day with Him, ask for His help and guidance.  He desires to be involved in every part of our life.

  • In the small town where I grew up the church bells from the local Catholic church rang twice a day.  During the summer those church bells told us children it was time to leave friends and our play and come home for lunch or supper.  But perhaps they could be a reminder to spend some time with Him. 

  • Bible memorization is an excellent way to spend time with Him.  The Holy Spirit will remind you of those heart hidden Scriptures and you can meditate on them wherever you are!  If you are looking for a good resource to help and encourage you in Bible memorization I enjoyed reading Janet Pope's book, His Word in My Heart.  Nancy Leigh DeMoss has some audio and scripts of her interviews with Janet that are very encouraging on her website, Revive Our Hearts.

Bottom line, recognize the season you are in, ask the Lord what He would have you to do and get creative.  Our goal isn't duty but to intimately know and love our Savior and to keep Him first in our lives.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness;
and all these things shall be added unto you.  Matthew 6:33


2 comments:

  1. I find myself talking to Him throughout my day. Today, was a really special day, because I was able to spend a bit more time in the garden than usual...and it all came back to Him :) m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I don't enjoy gardening but I can imagine that weeding and caring for the garden would be a great place to spend time with Him!!!

      Delete