Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Do This, Not That

 
 
"Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."  Colossians 3:2
 
I really like it when Scripture tells me exactly what to do and what not to do, like it does here in this verse in Colossians.  It's pretty black and white.  Do this, not that.
 
Although I know and have hope of Heaven I would say my mind is not very renewed in this area.  I find myself thinking more about earthly things throughout the day.
 
  • What should we have for dinner?  I have to cook again?! :o)
  • My schedule is so busy!  What am I doing tomorrow?  Next week?  Next year?
  • What is the future of our country?
  • What if my husband loses his job?
  • Should I do this or that, or go here or there?
  • The boys really need to mow the lawn, the garden needs to be weeded and I really should clean the house.
  • fretting about finances, health etc.
  • Wishing I were taller, shorter, thinner, had curly hair or straight hair, less freckles, newer cars, better furniture.
I think you get the idea. 
 
My mind is constantly thinking - this morning during my quiet time I took a few minutes to really think about how many times throughout the day I set my affections on heavenly or earthly things.  It's so easy to do.  Sadly, I am much more inclined towards earthly cares throughout the day.
 
This verse really is a protection for me against discontentment and idolatry AND even more than a protection, this verse applied will foster a closer, intimate relationship with my Savior.  After all, as the next verse says, "For ye are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God."   I no longer belong to the world.  When I was converted to God, I died and became alive in Christ.  My affections should reflect this.  I ought to be as earnest for eternal things as I was for earthly perishing things before my salvation.
 
 
set affection on (5426)
  • to exercise the mind
  • earnest in a certain direction
  • to interest oneself in
  • to be devoted to
above (507)
  • heavenly or divine things
~  I am to exercise my mind towards heavenly or divine things.  When I think of exercise I think of doing something good for my body and health.  Exercise doesn't come naturally to me, I have to be intentional about it and I don't usually enjoy it but am always glad I did it.  The same is true I suppose in my affections and thought life.  I need to intentionally train myself in this area to set my affections on things above.
 
~   I am to be earnest in my affections being set on heavenly or divine things.
 
earnest:  
1. Ardent in the pursuit of an object; eager to obtain; having a longing desire; warmly engaged or incited.
 
2. Ardent; warm; eager; zealous; animated; importunate; as earnest in love; earnest in prayer.

3. Intent; fixed.

4. Serious; important; that is, really intent or engaged; whence the phrase, in earnest. To be in earnest, is to be really urging or stretching towards an object; intent on a pursuit. Hence, from fixed attention, comes the sense of seriousness in the pursuit, as opposed to trifling or jest. Are you in earnest or in jest?

(I love this from number 4, "urging or stretching towards an object; intent on a pursuit."  I am to ibe ntent on pursuing eternal things, so much so that I am stretching (exercise!) for them.) 

~  I am to interest myself in heavenly or divine things.  I enjoy knitting and crocheting and learning about health and wellness.  My husband and boys are interested in football.  My son Jonathan is interested in writing computer codes and web design.  Another son is interested in piano.  When we have an interest in something we spend time learning and studying about it.  As a believer I should be studying and learning about my eternal home and God's will being done here on earth as it is in Heaven. 

~  I am to be devoted to the heavenly and divine.  Because of my love for the Lord, I am committed to Him.  I am to be set apart and dedicated to Him.   Showing devotion to Him.  Here is one definition of devotion as I understand it in the context of our verse and where we are to set our affections: 

A solemn attention to the Supreme Being in worship; a yielding of the heart and affections to God, with reverence, faith and piety, in religious duties, particularly in prayer and meditation; devoutness.

Lots of spiritual food for thought this morning and definitely a practice that will require the help of the Holy Spirit. 

Have a blessed day as you set your affections on Jesus!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Throughout the day, I find myself talking to Our Lord about a host of things. Lately my conversations have been on just HIM! precious! :) m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, and the bonus is that it has led me here to your place!
    I have been reading some of your posts, your life is hid in Christ and I would call that rather extraordinary. I love Colossians and pray many of those verse daily.

    ReplyDelete