Thursday, August 22, 2013

Might Oaks


Antique-school-desk

Our 2013/2014 school year is getting closer to starting and I am super excited!  It almost doesn't seem possible that we will be starting our 9th year of homeschooling, that we've graduated one from homeschool and will have another graduate this year!  I am so thankful to be teaching and learning along with my children.  It is a blessing from the Lord that I don't take lightly or for granted.
Our students this year are:
  • Jonathan 12th grade
  • Christopher 9th grade
  • Andrew 4th grade
A few thoughts (the below is NOT a complete list of the subject and materials taught, just a few notes):
    Jonathan has curriculum pieced in from quite a few different companies.  One new item is his Teaching Textbooks math for the year.  We have always used Math U See and have loved it but have had some trouble with Algebra and up so we are excited to see how this compares and works.  Jonathan is a very diligent student and is mostly independent, he will join us for Family Bible time in the mornings and for our daily Spanish lesson in the afternoons.  He will also be participating in our Fine Arts Fridays (composer, artist, poetry, Shakespeare and nature study).
    Christopher will be starting highschool!  Christopher is the first of our children to be educated at home from the beginning.  Chris will be Joining Andrew and I for Geography/History with My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures.  I went back and forth on wether or not to include him with us or get a separate curriculum for him.  Chris has already done ECC (he was younger) but because we are looking at transitioning to ABeka History for Highschool and their recommendation for 9th grade is geography I decided to use what we had and save some money.   No "new" curriculum purchased for Christopher this year other than his consumable student math book from Math U See.  He'll also be using Apologia Science (physical) and Rod and Staff English and be joining us for Family Bible, Spanish and Fine Arts Fridays.
    Andrew and I will be working through ECC together and I'm just as excited about going through it for the third time as I was the first.  :o)  I loved learning about the different countries and cultures around the world and I know Andrew will too.  I haven't decided yet if we'll use the suggested science that came with the package or if we'll use one of the many Apologia elementary science books we have.  We are also doing a review for the first half of the year in math.  He's not quite ready to move ahead and I think the review and extra practice will be good for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment