Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday

 
"Be Still and know that I am God..." 
Psalm 46:10a


Recently the Lord has been speaking to me about Being Still - He has brought the verse from Psalm 46:10 to mind in many different ways over the last few weeks; in His Word, through a devotional book, 2 different songs, a friend sharing it with me and a sermon I listened to online.

There are so many things to be busy with aren't there?  Both physically and in mind.  Piano and guitar lessons, homeschool co-op gym time, hobbies, books to read, holidays to prepare for, chores, Bible study, etc.   A lot of those things can be good things but there can be other things that burden and worry us, thus keeping our mind busy.  The upcoming elections, maybe our finances, our children, extended family relationships, worries over health concerns, etc. 

Can you see why God would want us to "be still and know that He is God?"  He is God over all of those things!  Being still before Him in the midst of all these things is a surrender and trust.  Knowing who God is and what He is calling us to, will help us to be obedient to His word and His plan and purposes for us.

Over the last month I've been battling with anxiety and insomnia.  My health has been very fragile and I've been sick often.  Am I over committed?  Am I stretched beyond where He wants?  Am I being disobedient or neglectful of His leading, leaning more to what I want or desire to do?  These are some of the questions I've been asking myself along with asking for wisdom, guidance and strength to follow His leading. 

A former pastor's wife once shared some advice at our monthly ladies Bible study in regards to helping us examine our busyness.  Obviously there are daily things we must do which might not fit within these questions as well as many more questions we could ask, but it is a good place to start, especially when we are looking at participating in activities that take us out of the home.  I pray that they might be a help to you as well.


The Right Questions to Ask:
 
~ Will it strengthen my faith and help me love Jesus more?
~ Will it advance me in my warfare against sin?
~ Will it help me be fore resolved to pray?
~Will it embolden my witness?
 
Have a wonderful Thursday, friends.  I leave you with the following encouragement:






"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."
Colossians 3:1-2
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment