Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Proverbs 31 Summer Study

A-life-well-spent

"Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings. It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:" Proverbs 31:3-4

This week I began the Proverbs 31 summer study with Good Morning Girls and my personal Good Morning Girls group. For 14 weeks we will go through Proverbs 31 verse by verse, using the S.O.A.P method. You can find more info. about the study HERE.

Here are a few thoughts on today's verses (above) from my quiet time:

~ This mother was sharing with her son that a man can give his strength to a woman and so obviously there are women who are more than willing to take this strength.

~ When I first read these verses my mind thought of other women who would try to take the strength from men through flirtacious adulterous relationships etc. but as I thought further, the Lord showed me that if I am not intentional, I too could take my husbands strength. I could take my husbands strength by manipulation even if its not done maliciously. Scott loves to do things for me and to make me happy but I see that I need to be so careful about this. Disrespect will tear him down quicker than anything; depleating his strength rather than my bolstering it with my gentle words and admiration.

~ In regards to myself, how could I give my strength away? If I am not guarding myself I can let others emotionally pull on me. Have you ever been in a friendship like this? I have and we need to guard ourselves in this area. My attention and strength can also be drained by outside activities, jobs and social media thus tiring and wearing me out from doing the things the Lord calls me to be doing in my home. And while ministering to others is something we are called to do, I am called to first serve my husband and family.

~ As for wine and strong drink, I am of the thought that anyting good enough for a king is good enough for me. Why would I want to live with lower standards? With Jesus our King as our example we are called to live holy lives because He is holy.

~ Knowing what the word says about wine and strong drink and having strong personal convictions in these areas are very important but just as important is having a plan. Knowing ahead of time what you will or wont compromise on and how you will respond. For the most part my children are not exposed to this with their peers but our extended families do not carry the same convictions and so it is a topic that needs to constantly be addressed in our home as they see aunts, uncles and grandparents making these choices in their lives.

My application for today's verses is to be intentional about where my strength is spent. Making sure that I am serving my husband and family first and others second. Also, to examine the ways in which I can build up my husbands strength, thus being a help to him

2 comments:

  1. I am drawn to this study so much. I just clicked on the link that you shared and if Our Lord permits it, I'll be joining you in this study.

    I have the two weeks to catch up, but I'll like to just share with you as I read it, what Our Lord puts in my heart. I pray that it will an encouraging way to draw closer to the woman that we need to be...that we want to be!

    Grace be upon you....

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, it would be lovely to hear your thoughts as you work through the study. It really doesn't take much time each day to do and I am learning so much.

      Delete