Saturday, December 7, 2013

Sweet Potato Salad

Christopher and I made up this Sweet Potato Salad this afternoon.  It is my favorite holiday salad to bring and is a crowd pleaser with everyone; that is unless you tell them before they eat it that it has sweet potatoes.  :o)  
 
Below you see the main ingredients (sweet potato, pineapple, apple and raisins).
Food 014
 
And mixed with the dressing and a few pecans crumbled on top.
 
Food 019
 
Sweet Potato Salad
3 cups peeled and shredded sweet potato 
1 cup pineapple tidbits (fresh is best)
1 medium sweet apple, diced
1/4 cup raisins
Pecans (to top the completed salad)
** I don't really measure when making this salad but throw everything in and make it look even.  :o)  Three cups of sweet potatoes is not quite 2 normal sized sweet potatoes so I shred and use all of the sweet potatoe.  I added a bit more pineapple and raisns this time too.
 
Dressing:
1-2 Tbsp. raw unfiltered honey
1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice (I use only 1)
1/2 cup Veganaise
lemon zest
Top salad with chopped pecans.
 
** I had to let my honey soften up before mixing the dressing as it starts to solidify more this time of the year.  Mix the dressing in a separate bowl and when it is throughly mixed pour over salad and stir.  
This salad is great fresh but works well made the night before (I add the raisins and pecans before serving).  
 
I did enjoy a bowl right away.  Mmmm.  :o)
 
Food 022

No comments:

Post a Comment