Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. Picture postcards were first printed back in the mid-1800's and deltiology is the official name for postcard collecting. When did you last send a postcard?  Receive one? Do you save postcards sent to you? Do you collect and/or send postcards when you travel? I can't remember the last time I sent a postcard.  I send little notes and cards often but not postcards.  As for receiving one, I received one last month from my friend, Beckie and her family who just moved to North Dakota.

2. What treat do you most like to indulge in while on vacation?

 I love stopping at little gift stores or truck stops that have little items in them.  As a little girl I remember getting these coloring books with a magic marker that would color in the picture when you colored over it with the marker.  I also loved getting little coin purses or trinkets while on vacation.

We also enjoy eating at local cafe's - not the normal drive thru food but the kind of place where the waitress calls you darlin' and the hamburger buns are buttered and fried.  Mmmm!!!!

3. Are you good at hiding your feelings?

 No, not at all.

4. Does your town/city/county still deliver telephone books to your home? Do you check the yellow pages when searching for a local business number or has the internet replaced the phone book in your home?

We still receive telephone books.  They come in the mail and yes we do still use the yellow pages although I would say we use the internet just as much. 

5. Would you rather be first or last?

If it's our annual 4th of July picnic at my mom's and  it's the line for food, I want to first or at least in front of my brother, Jason before he takes all of mom's potato salad.  Every year we have a fun little tiff over the potato salad although I don't know why, because mom always has a small container for each of us to take some home when we leave.  :) 

For other similar situations I would prefer to be somewhere in the middle.  If we are playing a card or board game I like to win although I am never boastful about it and often tell the boys, it doesn't matter who is first or last or who gets the blue or red game piece.  Be thankful that we are playing the game and spending time with your family or friend.

6. July is National Park and Recreation Month (in America, but everyone can still play along)...where and when were you last in a park?  Did you participate in any recreational activities while you were there?

The last I was in a park was last month when the kids and I walked from my parents house over to the park by the lake.  The kids played on the playground equipment and I chatted with my sister.

7.  What was one of your worst ideas?
Oh my!  I'm sure I've had many bad ideas over the years but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment.     

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

It is going to be a scorcher here today and humid too!  I'm thankful for my air conditioning.  My thoughts this morning went to the Amish family we visited with on Monday.  I wonder how they beat the heat when its so hot and humid like this.

My plans for the day are indoors although my son Jonathan got called into work and will be working.  He'll be putting up fencing.  I sent him off this morning with lots of ice and water jugs and a container of watermelon.  They are going to eat lunch in town rather than brining their own so that they can escape the heat for a bit.

7 comments:

  1. Ha-at holiday meals we all say we need to get the mashed potatoes before my brother in law does : ) It is a tough climate to be working outdoors right now. A scorcher here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... I used to LOVE those little coloring books... I had a ton of those markers that were useless after you colored everything in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder just how long it will be before phone books will become a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I recognized your blog name :) Nice to see you at the hodgepodge :)
    Your Mom is sweet for packing containers of her potato salad for you and your brother.
    Good job sending your son off with lots of ice, water and watermelon. It is so hot here too.
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved those coloring books! I also loved the painting books, where you just used water and the brush. :) My mother was such a patient woman, in case you haven't guessed...water and watercolors everywhere, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's so hot and humid here as well and good for you son, he needs to definitely stay hydrated while out in this kind of heat.

    Thanks so much for stopping by, it's always fun to meet another blogger, especially another "sister in Christ."

    Sweetest blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a really hot day here too. Although it is starting to cool off a little tonight. Hubby and I just took a short walk.

    ReplyDelete