Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepodge! #187



1. As August draws to a close, share what's been your favorite weekend of the entire summer?  My favorite weekend of the summer was the 4th of July.  One of the families from our small church holds a fun filled day of:  food, faith, family and fellowship.  There is a dessert contest, games such as the balloon toss, three legged race, pie eating contest, gunny sack races and more.  This year the weather was perfect.  Our family looks forward to attending all year and the two younger boys each had fun making a 4th of July themed dessert.  They're already talking dessert ideas for next year. 


   
 
   
 
 
   

   

   

  
 


 2. Labor Day is marked in the US of A on Monday, September 1st.  What paying job have you held that you've loved the most? Liked the least?  I loved being a licensed child care provider.  I love children and it allowed me to stay home and care for my own babes while earning an income.

3. Does the new school year start before or after Labor Day where you live? When do you think it should begin? There is much discussion now about older students having later start times to their school day...your thoughts?  In Minnesota it really depends on the district.  One of my nieces, who lives an hour away, started school on August 18th.  Another niece and nephew (45 minutes away) as well as our homeschool began on Monday the 25th but the local school district starts Sept. 2nd. 

As for older students starting later I can understand their reasoning with students involved in sports or after school jobs and still needing to do homework.  It is a non issue for us.  We usually start school by 9:00 am most years but are starting our day at 8:30 this year.


 4. What's something you've worked at recently that could be deemed a 'labor of love'?  An afghan that worked row by row from right to left with a very detailed pattern.  It was the pattern that my grandmother used to make afghans for her grandchildren as a wedding gift and was a pattern that I wanted to learn in her honor since her passing in 2006.  I entered it in the county fair this year and was awarded a 1st place ribbon.  The afghan will be given as a gift in the exchange game my extended family plays each Christmas.



 5.Which of the following work idioms can you most relate to right now...'A woman's work is never done.', 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.' 'Many hands make light work.'  Haha!  I most identify with A woman's work is never done.  :-)  Last week I spent a quiet week at home cleaning the house and school room so that I could concentrate all attention to our first week back to school but my husband was home all day yesterday working in the house with drywall sanding, priming and painting.  Needless to say there was more work than just the normal up-keep of our home.  :)

6. Crab or lobster or thanks, but no thanks? Favorite way to have your choice prepared?  Neither.  Ewww

7. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, 'Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.' Which of the three do you consider to be the most important? Share one of your own 'rules of work'.  Wow, I like all three of them, but I believe "From discord find harmony," to be the most important.  As a Christian I believe that no matter the circumstances around me, I can find peace when I surrender control to Christ and allow His peace to comfort and guide me through the aid of the Holy Spirit.

One of my 'rules of work' was shared up in #5.  "Many hands make light work."  I'm always telling the kids this or saying, "Let's set the timer for 10 minutes and work together to get this done, many hands make light work," and honestly it is more pleasant to do a job with others than facing it alone.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. We've been enjoying some beautiful fall like weather the last two days.  It is definitely a nice change from last weeks high temps and humidity.  I love being able to open the windows and feel the light breeze.  I've already begun putting up a few Autumn decorations.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment