Friday, November 11, 2011

Sharing My Heart

The Lord has been so good to our family - bringing my husband to a deeper understanding of his role as head and leader. With this has come a greater desire to learn about what God desires from Scott and I as spouses and parents. Through a long chain of events that began in October of last year, we are now considering and praying for God's direction for our family, including a possible new church. There wasn't any "big" thing that happened, just a small seed that was planted and began to grown through much prayer and silence over the last year. I can say that it was first planted in my heart and it is only within the last couple of months that it has also taken root in my husbands. Over the last year there was much prayer on part for the Lord to bring Scott and I to the same place. There was also much preparation from the Holy Spirit in Scott's life.

This new church (hello to any Cornerstone readers) is about as far from different from our current non denominational church as you can get but I have been so surprised at how at home we feel there and how much peace I feel after just two visits. Having said that, there are bunch of questions floating through my mind and I find myself worrying and wondering if a switch there is right for our family.

The message from last week has been such a comfort to me throughout this week as I recall the assurrances that I have when in the midst of life or a storm. I've gotten out my notes and re-read them each day as well as the two portions of Scripture that were read.

We love the people at our current church. They welcomed us in 2 years ago after a very hurtful situation and break at another church (just so you know we are NOT church hoppers and never ever envisioned that we would leave the first church). When we left that church we started attending a church an hour away from our home. It was nice to be so far away. Pastor Dave and Tyra showed us what true servanthood and pastoral care looked like and loved on us and allowed us to heal, saying from the very beginning that they were there for us for however long the Lord would have us to be at New Creation, whether it was to be our new church home or if it was just for a time. They never placed any limits or expectations on us, they just loved us and oh how we love them!!!

You might be asking yourself, if you love them then why are you considering a move to a new church. Well, there are many different reasons, none having to do with any person or ministry at New Creation but rather with the direction we feel the Lord is leading our family in. A vision for our family to be connected rather than fragmented into different classes. A vision to turn the hearts of our children back to us rather than youth leaders and teachers. A vision of family discipleship and a place where we can fellowship with other believers. We are also looking for a return to a more traditional worship service, where there is a holy, reverant fear of the Lord rather than some of the casualness that can come into the church today. Some might disagree with me there - and without fully going into what I mean, I ask that you please be respectful of the fact that this is where the Lord is leading "our" family... it might not be the direction for yours but we have felt such encouragement and peace in our spirits from visiting the new church.

Have we committed to leave our current church and make the switch? No, not yet. Scott and I have many questions, infact we've started a list of them on a sheet of paper and hope to meet with someone from Cornerstone to ask them about it. What we have committed to is to visiting the church, getting to know the families and most importantly seeking God through prayer for the direction of our family.

I'll end with this... God is faithful and I know that whether we stay at our current church or begin a new season with the family of Cornerstone we have learned much and the Lord has given Scott and I a vision for our family and a desire to see that come to pass either way.

If you feel so inclined, please pray for Scott and I - for wisdom and for the strength and discipline in our own lives as this really comes down to more than just attending a church. It is a matter of obedience to the Lord. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment