Sunday, November 6, 2011

Happy Saturday! :-)

Today is a day for catching up at home. I don't have any errands to run that I know of. I tried to make sure that I had everything I needed so that we could stay home today. We were quite busy this week with Scott still home through Wednesday afternoon, Andrew's birthday, piano and guitar lessons, Lego club, school and a shopping trip. My home needs a little tender loving care today and I have some baking that I want to do as well.

With all the busyness of this week it reminded me that I haven't been so diligent with our routine to prepare for the Lord's Day to be a day of worship and rest. Over the summer I came across a series of blog posts on how to prepare for the Lord's Day at the Doorposts blog. Since I needed a little refresher I thought I would share the links here. I have found it to be very helpful (when I follow our routine) and there is much more peace in our home on Sunday mornings.

Preparing for a Day of Rest, pt. 1

Preparing for a Day of Rest, pt. 2

Preparing for a Day of Rest, pt. 3

Preparing for a Day of Rest, pt. 4

Preparing for a Day of Rest, pt. 5


Here are few of the things that we do:

~ Fuel up the van. We drive an hour to church and it seems that we are always a little behind schedule no matter how prepared we are. Having the van ready to go saves us from a 10 minute stop to fuel up and then we also don't deal with the pleas of "buy me something" from our youngest.

~ Having our Bibles all ready to go and in the back hall by the door.

~ Our son has what we call a laptop. It's really just a clear plastic lego bin that opens up. Inside he keeps paper, pens, pencils, his DS and a few games. The hard plastic case provides a hard surface to draw on.

~ What's for lunch... because we drive an hour away and don't get out of service until 1pm we need to have a plan for lunch. We sometimes attend our life group potluck but on often times we need to get home. If I am in a rush and not prepared we stop at McDonald's. My husband does not like us to do this because it already costs us close to $22 dollars to drive to church and then another $20 or more to feed everyone. Every week that money adds up. If we do that every Sunday it is $80 dollars a month!!

~ I have the kids pick out their clothes on Saturday's except for our daughter. She is 17 and is very good about getting all of her things ready.

How does your family prepare for the Lord's Day? I would love to hear from you in the comment section. :-) I know from glancing at the posts above this morning I have some new ideas.

Have a wonderful weekend and Lord's Day. God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment